Re: auto-open windows file on unix server

From: rgb
Subject: Re: auto-open windows file on unix server
Date: 18 Apr 2005 09:51:07 -0700

s-skj@ux.uis.no wrote:
> Using ange-ftp or tramp from a Windows laptop at home, I may display
the
> content of a unix dirctory at work in dired mode. If a Word file is
> saved on the unix machine, e.g., svein.doc, I would like to press
> <return> to have the file transferred to my laptop and opened in
> Word. Is that possible?
>
> --
> Svein

It sounds like you want to make Emacs do what WebDrive FTP does.
I used it some years ago; before ange-ftp supported NSK.

The problem with Emacs doing it is that dired can't manage the
temporary
files it transfers back and forth unless the functions it hooks are
being called.  Word obviously won't be calling save-buffer so how would
your changes get written back...