Scrolling affects region... what to do?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Scrolling affects region... what to do?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:43:45 +0100

When a region (with several lines) is marked first and then the shown part of the buffer is changed via the scrollbar or for example with M-v, one boundary of the region will change to remain next to the point, which moves to a new place when scrolling. Sometimes, the region is heavily modified, with one boundary jumping by several paragraphs. The region may become smaller or larger.

What's obviously happening is that the point comes along whenever one scrolls somewhere, so that the region between mark and point will change. This is entirely undesirable for me (and other Mac users) - what can I do about it? Can I somehow make the point be independent of the shown part of the buffer?

Thanks!