Re: Mis-features of let

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Mis-features of let
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:57:30 -0600

rgb wrote:
anything.  Like I said in an earlier post, it's not necessary to
list all the things that an operator doesn't do, since there are an
infinite number of things it doesn't do.

8.1 Symbol Components of the Elisp reference says:

The "value cell" holds the current value of the symbol as a
     variable.  When a symbol is used as a form, the value of the
     form is the contents of the symbol's value cell.  See
     `symbol-value' in *Note Accessing Variables::.

It also says:

  The value cell holds the symbol's value as a variable (*note
  Variables::).  That is what you get if you evaluate the symbol as
  a Lisp expression (*note Evaluation::).

With no statements anywhere to the contrary, these statements imply
that any use of the term *variable* is a reference to a symbol's
value cell.

By implying or outright claiming that let has no effect on the
print-name, function, or plist cells of the symbol passed to let the
manual creates a hazard that someone like me is almost certain to
fall into. (As I did.)  Nothing warned me of the danger that the
symbol made available under let is not a normal symbol and use
of functions such as fset and put have undefined results (which
I showed in my examples).

set : fset :: let : flet

--
Kevin Rodgers