Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:40:08 -0500

   > I have a freind with a shell account on a machine running FreeBSD
   > 4.9-RELEASE.
   >
   > He has 50mb of diskspace and no root privledges. Emacs is not
   > installed, nor Vim.

   > The emacs-21 tarbals I looked at are almost 20mb and expand to
   > 70mb which I cant use.

   > Is there a way around this?  I should add his needs are simple, he
   > needs to write some c code and have mutt use emacs as the editor.

   Erase all software and install only emacs.  You don't need anything
   else.

Do the math.  It won't work this time unless there's a good way to
make a trimmed-down emacs, say to under 35 mb's (half of the current
untarred version version, which maybe doesn't yet including the size
of the binary).

My personal suggestion would be to speak with the sysadmin and ask for
Emacs to be installed in a shared directory.