RE: Is this possible in swbuff?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Is this possible in swbuff?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:07:40 -0700

    I have finally made swbuff.el work.
    As it work now I shift buffers each time I press tab while
    holding down C.

    But is there some option I can enable so it only cycles through
    the buffers
    when I press C-tab and first when I release tab it changes the buffer?

I have trouble following just what you mean. Swbuff is _designed_ to change
buffers in that way. If that's not what you want, then don't use swbuff.

If you want to instead cycle through buffer names and pick one (RET) to
switch to, try this 1-2-3 combination (see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SwitchingBuffers):

 1. Use plain old `switch-to-buffer' with #2 and #3.

 2. Enable cycling of default input values (e.g. buffer names) in the
minibuffer, with this: http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/elect-mbuf.el.

 3. Enable incremental minibuffer completion, with this:
http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/icomplete-plus.el. See also
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IcompleteMode for an explanation.

With that combination, you should get what I think you're asking for. The
advantages of this over swbuff are that you are not limited to buffer
cycling; you can use completion and even open a new, non-existant buffer.

That said, swbuff.el is a great way to go. Another, similar, alternative is
command `doremi-buffers' in library
http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/doremi-cmd.el. See
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/DoReMi for an explanation.

Finally, there are a _zillion_ different ways to cycle among buffers. As I
mentioned previously, your _first_ stop should be the discussion at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryBufferSwitching - in
particular http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SwitchingBuffers.

More generally, Emacs Wiki is your friend. Many of the questions you have
asked here are discussed and answered there.

HTH,

  Drew