Replace regex strings with variables for font-lock

From: Ryan Bowman
Subject: Replace regex strings with variables for font-lock
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:03:02 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to write a major mode, using the following
from
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EasyFontLock

(defun my-mode () "my-mode" (interactive)
  (kill-all-local-variables)
  (make-local-variable 'font-lock-defaults)
  (setq font-lock-defaults
'(my-mode-font-lock-keywords t)))

(defvar my-mode-font-lock-keywords nil
  "Keywords/Regexp for fontlocking of my-mode")

(setq my-mode-font-lock-keywords
          (list
           '("^#.*$" 0 'bold)
           '("\\(foo\\)\\(bar\\)" ; the word foobar in two
faces
                 (1 'font-lock-warning-face)
                 (2 'font-lock-type-face))))

That second part, being able to font-lock with
multiple faces is awesome.
Anyway, I want to replace the regex strings with
customizable variables, so I used defcustom to define
a variable and then in place of '("&#.*S" 0 'bold) I
tried '(my-var 0 'bold) but it didn't work, meaning to
the face wasn't applied.  I tried defining the
variable with defcustom and defvar but neither had the
effect I wanted.  Is there a way to use defcustom to
define a variable that contains a regex that will be
recognized by font-lock?

----
Ryan Bowman

While any text editor can save your files, only Emacs can save your soul. --
Per Abrahamsen

Emacs is not built by hate of vi. vi is irrelevant - it is no more than a
strange punishment that the unbelievers submit themselves to. -- Matan Ninio
----