Re: gnus fails sending mail

From: ken
Subject: Re: gnus fails sending mail
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 14:34:22 -0400

Kevin,

Thanks very much for replying.

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> ken wrote:
> > relevant .emacs:
> >
> > (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> > (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.boofy.net")
> > (require 'starttls)
> > (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
> >       '(("mail.boofy.net" 25 "activate" "xxxxx")))
> > (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
> > (setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
> >
> > run: M-x gnus, C-x m, type test message, C-c m => error:

I got one reply from gnu.emacs.gnus.  That person suggested a different
command for sending mail in gnus.  I'd explain what it is, but I don't
recall it and it's taking an awful long time now for quimby to send me
the list of posts.

> > mh-temp buffer says:
> > post: aliasing error in .alias - error in line 'alias'
> > send: message not delivered to anyone
> >
> > (What's my ~/.alias got to do with sending this email?  Why should it
> > cause it to fail?)
>
> Check the value of the mail-aliases variable (which defaults to t, in
> sendmail.el).

C-h v mail-aliases:

mail-aliases's value is shown below.

Documentation:
Alist of mail address aliases,
or t meaning should be initialized from your mail aliases file.
(The file's name is normally `~/.mailrc', but your MAILRC environment
variable can override that name.)
The alias definitions in the file have this form:
    alias ALIAS MEANING

Defined in `sendmail'.

Value:
[... shows what seems to be my ~/.mailrc file in reverse and translated
into elisp...]

> > *Messages* buffer says:

> > Checking new news...done
> > inc +inbox...done
> > No new mail
> > Composing a message...done
> > Auto-saving...
> > Composing a message...
> > mh-read-draft: Draft preserved
> > Wrote /home/ken/Mail/draft
> > Sending...backgrounded
> >
> > But message isn't delivered.
>
> What's all that mh stuff for?  You explicitly specified
> smtpmail-send-it, but that last message is from mh-send-letter in
> mh-comp.el.

That other command (mentioned above) didn't use mh.  But it still didn't
deliver the mail, gave me this in *Messages*:

Parsing /home/ken/.mailrc... done
Sending...done

I searched through the whole ~/Mail/* tree and found nothing that even
resembled that email... not even any file timestamped within three days
of when I tried to send this.

Thanks again for the reply.

do.  Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
        -- Bradford Angier