Re: emacs and osx

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs and osx
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 20:29:28 -0400

> with. And while Emacs may be a memory hog, *everything* on OS X is. The
> average freeware menubar clock eats as much memory as Emacs.

Be careful to measure the RSS rather than the VSIZE when measuring the
memory use.  VSIZE can be completely meaningless since most of that memory
may be shared via many other processes, or may be allocated but unused, ...

Yes, OS X eats memory like a pig and (worse) is pretty bad at swapping (I
often get it to freeze for a whole 1min or more just because I launched too
many processes at the same time: GNU/Linux handles it much more gracefully),
but Emacs is not particularly frugal either.

        Stefan