C-xC-b creates ~/.saves-[0-9]*-localhost.localdomain - how to turn it of

From: s. keeling
Subject: C-xC-b creates ~/.saves-[0-9]*-localhost.localdomain - how to turn it off?
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 20:42:10 GMT

I've finally figured out what's creating these things, and now I'd
like to learn what I have to do to make emacs stop creating them.  I
already have all the anti-backup commands I can think of in my
~/.emacs (eg.):

   (setq make-backup-files nil)

but I must be missing something.  Any ideas anyone?  What else is
there?  Thanks.

(*)           http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling   Linux Counter #80292
- -           http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/autospam.html