Re: Running bash inside emacs

From: Madhusudan Singh
Subject: Re: Running bash inside emacs
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:52:48 -0400

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> Madhusudan Singh <spammers-go-here@spam.invalid> writes:
>>  I was wondering if it is possible to run a bash shell inside an emacs
>> buffer (where the up and down keys recall commands executed
>> in .bash_history and do not move the cursor around -- the problem with
>> the native shell available in emacs, tab results in command completion,
>> etc.).
>
> M-x shell RET
>
> Since emacs implement its own history and completion, the keys are
> usually bound to emacs functions, and not passed to the inferior
> shell.
>
> If you want to run an old command from ~/.bash_history, you could type:
>
> sort -u < ~/.bash_history
>
> then move to the line with the command and type RET.

Thanks for your response. I posted this question because I am not
comfortable with the solution you showed.

Typing in sort commands, etc. when you can just open up a native bash shell
and use up/down keys to your heart's content, does not make any sense at
all. This is especially important when you are debugging some code and need
access to the shell, repeatedly. The solution you list would be a
horrendous waste of typing and time in that case.

Maybe it is time for a M-x bash RET.