Re: Running bash inside emacs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Running bash inside emacs
Date: 04 May 2005 11:11:55 +0100

  Madhusudan> Thanks for your response. I posted this question because
  Madhusudan> I am not comfortable with the solution you showed.

  Madhusudan> Typing in sort commands, etc. when you can just open up
  Madhusudan> a native bash shell and use up/down keys to your heart's
  Madhusudan> content, does not make any sense at all.

You can access a history with C-p and C-n. Why these are not bound to
up and down arrow by default, I really never understood.

  Madhusudan> This is especially important when you are debugging some
  Madhusudan> code and need access to the shell, repeatedly. The
  Madhusudan> solution you list would be a horrendous waste of typing
  Madhusudan> and time in that case.

You're debugging bash code? I normally use mode-compile.el for
this. Basically, it runs bash with lots of debug output.

I wonder whether GUD works on bash, that would be nice.

  Madhusudan> Maybe it is time for a M-x bash RET.

It requires that you have bash. M-x shell also works with DOS, or many
other shells.

Phil