Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.

From: Michael Cadilhac
Subject: Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs.
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 22:13:46 +0200

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Michael Cadilhac <Michael.Cadilhac@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

>>> I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
>>> Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,
>>
>>     Ok, why not !
>>
>>     A   function   like  `window-focus-p',   that   will  check   with
>>   XGetInputFocus(3x)/GetForegroundWindow(w32)  if  the current  window
>>   has the input focus ?
>>
>>     So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
>>   some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?
>>
> I think the problem you are having is because focus information is
> handled at the X and window manager level - I don't think emacs knows
> anything about the focus. Note that this is just a guess.

  It seems that my answer is now a bunch of lost bytes in the cruel
  world of usenet.

  God bless the mighty sent messages saving in gnus.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [ELISP] Detect focus on emacs. Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 12:00:27 +0200 User-agent: Gnus/5.11 (Gnus v5.11) Emacs/22.0.50 (gnu/linux)
Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Michael Cadilhac <Michael.Cadilhac@lrde.epita.fr> writes:

>>> I don't think you can do that from elisp as of Emacs-22.
>>> Patches are welcome to add the functionality, of course,
>>
>>     Ok, why not !
>>
>>     A   function   like  `window-focus-p',   that   will  check   with
>>   XGetInputFocus(3x)/GetForegroundWindow(w32)  if  the current  window
>>   has the input focus ?
>>
>>     So I'll  have a try. BTW,  is there guidelines  for emacs patches,
>>   some must-know coding style or whatever like that somewhere ?
>>
> I think the problem you are having is because focus information is
> handled at the X and window manager level - I don't think emacs knows
> anything about the focus. Note that this is just a guess.

  Yep, I  think the problem  is here. But  now the question is,  is it
worth doing a `frame-focus-p' compatible with X and W32 (and more ?)?

  As said, It'll be a great  thing for modules wanting to do something
iif the user is not concentrated on emacs.

  I'm wondering if this patch has to be more than X/W32 compatible; In
fact, I don't know if mac's cocoa is managed in the same way.

--- End Message ---

  By the  way, the proposal  of rgb provides  a nicer way to  use this
functionality, but I'm not sure  this is really possible to have focus
hooks on a w32 system, isn't it ?

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  Please note that you should