Autoloading failed to define function debug

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Autoloading failed to define function debug
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 22:21:47 -0000

Using emacs 21.2.1 on Red Hat 9.0. Am more familiar with
Xemacs.

Problem: I'm using a directory called ~/elisp,
with load-path evaluated in .emacs as follows:
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp" load-path))

With the command above evaluated, and an error occurs, I get
the following message from GNU Emacs:
"Autoloading failed to define function debug"

I don't encounter this problem if that particular 'cons is
disabled. Other 'cons'es of 'load-path don't appear to cause
this problem.

What's more, as I experiment by commenting out the command in
my .emacs and then evaluating "manualy" in "*scratch*", debug
appears to work.

Any ideas? Where do I start looking?

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>