Re: How to edit/modify patches using emacs?

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: Re: How to edit/modify patches using emacs?
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 00:54:11 +0300

On Sun, 08 May 2005 23:45:34 +0900
Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
> > You can force edit it (see the other answers), but I think the best
> > way to "edit" a patch, is to duplicate the source directory, apply the
> > patch on one copy, edit this copy of the source files, then invoke
> > diff  to create a new patch.
>
> Note that editing a patch with emacs `diff-mode' active is actually
> fairly painless, because diff-mode takes care of keeping details like
> the line counts updated, offers convenient functions like hunk-
> splitting, makes it super easy to test your changes, etc.  I regularly
> edit patches directly because of diff-mode.
>
> [A common reason to edit a patch is because it _won't_ apply otherwise:
> you basically look at the patch to see why doesn't match the source,
> edit the patch to test your guess, and if it then applies cleanly,
> you've got a nice record in the edited patch.]

In such cases I just prefer to apply the patch and fix the rejects, gives you a
better overall view.

Editing patches for is useful when I know what I want to fix for sending out a
patch and I don't feel like applying it, changing the source and re-diffing
(especially useful with large source, such as modifying patches for the X or
kernel source trees)