Re: use of special-event-map

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: use of special-event-map
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 14:33:15 +0200

> I didn't know at what point Emacs received a window-manager
> event for this. I found no explanation of special events like
> [iconify-frame] in such terms. I tried to follow the code that
> deals with this event (in parts of w32term.c, xterm.c, frame.c,
> and keyboard.c), but this wasn't clear to me.

generally, emacs' awareness of events happens after the event,
which happens after the window manager is through munging and/or
generating the event.

programmability of window manager behavior from elisp is only
possible if the window manager (1) is programmable; (2) provides
an interface that accepts hints from emacs on how to do its job;
and (3) honors those hints.

(1) is easy to arrange, (2) less so, (3) even less.  in any case
it is all very window manager specific unless you are willing to
add to emacs the rest of ICCCM (aside from the "Extended Segments
in X selections" support which is already in place, iiuc).  and
even then, to what extent ICCCM is supported by the window manager
as well as the (non-)expressiveness of ICCCM to implement the
desired behavior, remains uncertain.

thi