Re: How to edit/modify patches using emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: How to edit/modify patches using emacs?
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 07:38:57 +0900

>> No that's not the problem. If I open a file like <file>.patch or <file>.diff
>> emacs opens it read-only (OK, I can rename the file, e.g. just to <file>,
>> then the problem no longer persists).
>
> Yes, it was a stupid idea of mine.  See diff-default-read-only, which in
> Emacs-CVS has been set to nil.  Sorry 'bout it,

I thought it was a rather good idea actually, though maybe the current
default is better because it confuses users less.

I use diff-mode a lot, but the _vast_ majority of diff files I visit are
only examined or applied from emacs, not edited; indeed almost always
the first thing I do when I visit one is toggle-read-only to prevent
inadvertent modification and enable the move convenient command
bindings.

So, anyway I guess now I know I can set `diff-default-read-only' to t...

-Miles
--
"Nah, there's no bigger atheist than me.  Well, I take that back.
I'm a cancer screening away from going agnostic and a biopsy away