Invoking electirc command programmatically

From: PT
Subject: Invoking electirc command programmatically
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:48:52 +0200

I have this electric function which inserts the character it is bound to and does something else too.

(defun my-electric-character (&optional arg)
  "Insert the typed character and pop up a completion buffer"
  (interactive "P")
  (self-insert-command (prefix-numeric-value arg))
  ...)

How can I invoke this function from my program with a certain character, so that it behaves just like if the user typed the character on the keyboard?