Binding meta and arrow

From: Ian Crowther
Subject: Binding meta and arrow
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 00:27:27 +0100

I'm trying to make emacs bind "M-arrow" to things.
I know other applications can use the key combination in the same environment (on the console, using putty and screen) and it seems emacs itself can handle it; when I go "C-h c M-left" it says "ESC <left> is undefined"

I can evaluate "(global-set-key [left] "left was pressed")" and get "left was pressed" inserted into the buffer when I press left. All I now need to do is try to figure out how to use the alt key on my keyboard.
I've tried the following:
        (global-set-key [M-left] "M-left was pressed")
        (global-set-key [A-left] "A-left was pressed")
        (global-set-key [alt left] "alt left was pressed")
        (global-set-key [meta left] "meta left was pressed")

And because I don't know what they do, I tried the following combinations also:
        (global-set-key [H-left] "H-left was pressed")
        (global-set-key [s-left] "s-left was pressed")

None of them work. I know emacs can tell I've pressed M-left though. I'd be grateful if somebody could tell me how I'm going wrong trying to bind it.