Re: utf text console - control-g does not work any longer

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: Re: utf text console - control-g does not work any longer
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:27:44 +0200

* "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> schrieb:

> Can you explain why you need filterm at all?  If it's because your
> terminal cannot display certain characters, you could fix that with an
> appropriate setting of terminal encoding (try "C-x RET t").  E.g., if your
> terminal can display latin-9 characters, the "C-x RET t latin-9 RET"
> should do what I think you want.

Well, I need filterm to have an unicode enabled virtual text
console. Without filterm I am still able to read AND type special
national characters (like German or Scandinavian äöü). Without filterm
there is NO problem with iso-8859-1 or iso-8859-15 for me!

BUT (without using filterm and its filter "dynafont"):
If someone posts in utf-8 I am not able to see all the special
characters AND I am not able to reply to such a post without having my
reply look totally fucked up (as to the special characters that I may
have in the quotation of the utf-8 poster).

All this happens with Emacs in a virtual text console. It is NO issue
when using Emacs in the X Window environment (either by using the
graphical Emacs OR by running "emacs -nw" in an utf enabled terminal
program, like uxterm or gnome-terminal)!

Could you (or other people) please take part in a quick test:

Here is a message-id of an utf poster (it's from a thread about ugly
fonts in gnu.emacs.gnus):

<16949.42398.937556.799591@parhasard.net>

Here is another example (this time posted by ME):

<8764z0hq89.fsf_-_@pp.ppetersen-usenet76543.de>

Regarding the first message-id (see above):
Do you really see all the special characters, especially: are the
apostrophes correct? What about the text in the signature of that
poster?

And please, do the test from a virtual text console, not from within
X. Thanks.

Of course, this all looks like a minor problem, since most posts are NOT
in utf-8, but anyway: I would be dissatisfied if a console version of
Emacs/Gnus was unable to display utf-8 all right (in contrast to windows
newsreaders like Forte Agent that always display these encodings
perfectly).

Regards
Peter(sen)