Re: how to not show images?

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: how to not show images?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 02:05:43 +0200

>     > Is there some way to _not_ show the images in a buffer or in all
>     > displayed
>     > buffers - that is, not to remove them, but to simply not display them
>     > (perhaps temporarily)?
>     >
>     > I'm looking for a user option (e.g. `show-images-flag') or a toggle
>     >  command
>     > (e.g. M-x toggle-image-display).
>

>     emacs -nw
>

> Uh, that's a bit overkill, dontcha think?
>
> I want regular Emacs, with window-manager support and all the rest,
> including image display in general. I just want to be able to toggle display
> of images on and off. Just as one can do in a Web browser.
>
> What about this am I not expressing clearly? What about "user option" and
> "toggle command" is unclear enough to elicit a response like "emacs -nw"?
>
> If the answer is "there is no such feature" yet, that's OK. I'll then
> suggest to emacs-devel that we add such toggling. For now, I'm just trying
> to see if this exists.

Ehrm, apparently you don't share my sense of humor.

More seriously, why would you want such a user option for Emacs?  Web
browsers have such an option to prevent downloading of images because
that can be slow.  Not downloading images significantly speeds up the
minimal.

Could you give specific examples of buffers with images that you want
to get rid of?  Why do they bother you?

Lute.

--
(spook) => "Firefly Bosnia New World Order"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")