Re: utf text console - control-g does not work any longer

From: Peter Petersen
Subject: Re: utf text console - control-g does not work any longer
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 03:22:56 +0200

* "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> schrieb:

Hello, and sorry for the delayed reply/feed-back. :)

> What does this "dynafont" filter do?

>From the Debian package description:

***
Package: dynafont (1.0-22)

Module for konwert package which loads UTF-8 fonts dynamically

   This is a tool which allows displaying texts containing thousands of
   different characters.
   It switches console to UTF8 mode and loads required fonts
   dynamically. It is recommended
   to use this tool with filterm(1) tool, i.e. by executing 'filterm -
   dynafont' command or
   'filterm - 512bold+dynafont' if you are not using framebuffer.

   The tool works with UTF8-compatible applications, i.e. lynx(1). There
   are problems with
   8-bit only applications like mc(1).
***

>> If someone posts in utf-8 I am not able to see all the special
>> characters AND I am not able to reply to such a post without having my
>> reply look totally fucked up (as to the special characters that I may
>> have in the quotation of the utf-8 poster).
>
> I think you can fix this if you set up a display table that maps each
> special character to a string of one or more ASCII characters (or any
> other characters your console can display).  You can find 2 examples
> of doing that in the Emacs distribution:
> lisp/international/latin1-disp.el and lisp/term/internal.el.  If you
> need to understand more about display tables, read the section
> "Display Tables" in the ELisp manual.

Looks too complicated and time consuming to me. ;-) Anyway, see below
why I don't need this any longer...

> What is a ``virtual console''? how is it different from a standard
> text terminal?

It isn't. :)

>From the man page:

***
CONSOLE(4)                             Linux User's Manual
CONSOLE(4)

NAME
       console - console terminal and virtual consoles

DESCRIPTION
       A  Linux  system  has up to 63 virtual consoles (character
       devices with major number 4 and
       minor number 1 to 63), usually called /dev/ttyn with 1 <= n <=
       63.  The current console is
       also  addressed by /dev/console or /dev/tty0, the character
       device with major number 4 and
       minor number 0.  The device files /dev/* are usually created
       using the script MAKEDEV,  or
       using mknod(1), usually with mode 0622 and owner root.tty.
***

And now to my feed-back regarding my original problem:

I was able to solve that annoyance (C-g no longer working when using
filterm/konwert/dynafont) simply by _downgrading_ the two packages
"konwert" and "konwert-filters" from version 1.8.9 to 1.8.3 (for those
interested).

Thanks for your answers.
Peter(sen)