Re: Linux version of emacs on WinXP??

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Linux version of emacs on WinXP??
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 16:47:52 -0400

> I have tried to install the emacs version for windows but it sucks.

Just so we get a chance to improve it, could you describe the shortcomings
you thought made it suck?

> I would like to install the real linux version of emacs on winXP, is
> that possible?

Obviously the GNU/Linux version doesn't run on anything else than GNU/Linux.

> I have a feeling that I need to install Cygwin but I have no idea wether
> its possible or how to get started. Hope somone can help!

There is indeed a cygwin version of Emacs available, which may mimic the
Unix-behavior better than the native w32 version.  I think if you install
cygwin (go to the cygwin site and follow the download/install signs) you'll
be offered to install other packages, among which you should be able to
choose Emacs.

        Stefan