Re: desktop and encodings

From: Mads Jensen
Subject: Re: desktop and encodings
Date: 23 May 2005 16:13:54 +0200

> That's probably the reason why you have these problems! Set LANG to
> Danish in some ISO 8859 encoding or in UTF-8! Maybe da_DA.UTF-8 ...

I tried setting the LANG variable to both da_DA, da_DA.utf-8,
da_DA.iso-8859-1 plus en_US... (the same LANG variables as mentioned
before, just with a different language), but that did not help :-/

> The other thing you can do: give all your files with non-US ASCII
> content in the header a remark like:
>
> ;;; -*- mode: Text; coding: iso-8859-4; -*-
> GNU Emacs will learn from that this text files contents is Northern ISO
> Latin.

Did not help either. I tried writing "æøå" in my ~/.bashrc, which I've
set to UTF-8 with C-x RET f RET utf-8 RET and tested with all the
aforementioned locales, but same result, æøå gets turned into something
like ¥...

I tried searching groups.google.com, but no help to find there :-(

Thanks for the help.
--
Mads Jensen - mail sent to address ends in /dev/null
              s/spam/madsj for emailing me

                -- Wernher von Braun