Re: antialiased fonts

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: antialiased fonts
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:16:20 +0100

Rob Wilco <rob.wilco@gmail.com> writes:

> I have googled the matter and it appears that emacs cannot display
> antialiased font.
>
> Questions :
>
> Is it true?

Yes.

> I don't get it, why gnome-terminal can do it and emacs can't?

gnome-terminal was written to use GTK for rendering, which in turn
uses the X11 extension APIs for directly drawing antialiased fonts.
Emacs was written to use the plain X11 text drawing API, which does
not support antialiasing.

> Who antialiases font?

The X11 extension API (the name of which I cannot recall).

> What does it takes to make a gtk-aware emacs à la gvim?

There are various degrees of GTK awareness. The current CVS, which
will someday be Emacs 22 has GTK widgets (menus, scrollbars etc), but
does not yet use GTK for drawing the text, since that is a much bigger
job requiring a complete fork of the display engine.

> PS : what are the goals of this ng compared to the one called comp.emacs ?

This newsgroup is for discussing topics specific to GNU
Emacs. comp.emacs.xemacs is the equivalent group for
XEmacs. comp.emacs is for topics that are common to both.