Re: Emacs21 settings in Debian ?

From: Rob Wilco
Subject: Re: Emacs21 settings in Debian ?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:24:19 +0200

I started my Linux adventure a couple of years ago with a Mandrake distro. It was providing a version of Emacs -

Ah ! With your Mandrake distro, was your emacs displaying antialiased fonts ?

I am having a hard time displaying antia alised fonts with deban/ubuntu and I have a vague remembrance that my mandrake used to do that.

For instance, copying a block with C-space and M-w does not work
It works on my ubuntu. I installed emacs with apt-get install emacs21.

I move the cursor to the beginning of a word, type C-space then right five times, then M-w then move somewhere else, and type C-y. The previously copied characters are pasted.

I've googled around to see if there was a way to get the color back.
Have you tried M-x font-lock-mode. I also put those lines in my .emacs to get convenient colors for the background and main font.

(set-face-background 'default "DarkSlateGray")
(set-face-foreground 'default "wheat")

It works on my system (emacs on the console and emacs in X-window)

I don't have your problems and It work that way out of the box.

Maybe you can check that you do not have a previous .emacs lying in your home.

Cheers,