char-width of a font? pixel-width of a future frame?

From: David Reitter
Subject: char-width of a font? pixel-width of a future frame?
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 14:37:55 +0100

How do I find out either

- what the (average) width of characters of a given font/fontset is? or
- what, given a set of frame-parameters (including font and width and height), what the pixel-width and pixel-height of a frame are going to be once it is created?

I'm trying to put together a few functions that intelligently place frames on the screen, and obviously I need to know what a frame's extensions are going to be before the frame is actually created.

Thanks for your help!