Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)

From: Bob Babcock
Subject: Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 05:32:29 GMT

Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se> wrote in
news:mailman.2527.1117514716.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org:

>> In emacs 21.3 under Win32 I get a 1-character wide black border on
>> the left and right sides of the window.  (The arrows indicating a
>> wrapped or long line appear in this area.)  How do I control the
>> color of this area?
>
> M-x customize-face RET fringe RET.

So, that area is called "fringe".  Now I can set the color.  It's not just
in mythology that knowing a things true name gives you power over it.
Thanks.

I thought I wanted to match the fringe and default background colors, but
now that I've played with it a little bit, I think I'll try slightly
different colors to give a subtle boundary.  Black next to blue made a
jarring boundary.

>> I thought it might be something like (setq border-color "red"), but
>> this doesn't change the display at all.
>
> Haha, you just made a wild guess?

No, apropos RET border RET told me that there was something called border-
color, but looking again, I see it's not a variable so setq doesn't make
sense.  There was some method to my flailing.