Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: How do I set border color in 21.3 (Win32)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:42:57 +0200

Bob Babcock <wssddc@nospam.gis.net> writes:

> Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se> wrote in
>
>>> In emacs 21.3 under Win32 I get a 1-character wide black border on
>>> the left and right sides of the window.  (The arrows indicating a
>>> wrapped or long line appear in this area.)  How do I control the
>>> color of this area?
>>
>> M-x customize-face RET fringe RET.
>
> So, that area is called "fringe".  Now I can set the color.
> It's not just in mythology that knowing a things true name gives you
> power over it.  Thanks.

Indeed, that is how it works in Emacs too. :-)

Seriously, I can't think of a good way to find this out on your own.
I don't blame you for asking; the name is far from obvious.

> I thought I wanted to match the fringe and default background
> colors, but now that I've played with it a little bit, I think I'll
> try slightly different colors to give a subtle boundary.  Black next
> to blue made a jarring boundary.

Yes, I also like to have them differ slightly in color.  Although, on
second thought... red fringes on a white background might just make
Emacs look like a flashy striped sports car.  Well, that, or it might
just be damn ugly.

>>> I thought it might be something like (setq border-color "red"),
>>> but this doesn't change the display at all.
>>
>> Haha, you just made a wild guess?
>
> No, apropos RET border RET told me that there was something called
> border- color, but looking again, I see it's not a variable so setq
> doesn't make sense.  There was some method to my flailing.

Ah, I see.  You did make an honest try, then. :-)

--
Daniel Brockman <daniel@brockman.se>