Re: Suggestions? Better filetype sniffing -- XHTML vs. HTML

From: don provan
Subject: Re: Suggestions? Better filetype sniffing -- XHTML vs. HTML
Date: 30 May 2005 23:52:50 -0700

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:31:51 -0800, Kin Cho wrote:
>
> > If you know C, 'xml-html-mode is like taking the
> > address of a function.
>
> that's a stretch!
>
> did anyone who:
>       (a) did know C previously
>   and (b) did NOT know emacs lisp previously
>   and (c) learned something about emacs lisp eventually
> find this comparison to be helpful in going from (b) to (c)?

It's hard to remember back that far, but I think I probably found that
comparison helpful way back when. I'm not sure why you think it's such
a stretch. Sure, there are significant differences, but none-the-less,

    (setq f 'function)
    (funcall f)

is how you accomplish in emacs the same feat as in C with

    f = function;   /* implicitely takes the address of function */
    (*f)();

I suppose not all C programmers are familiar with function pointers,
yet you really aren't an emacs programmer until you're familiar with
quoted function names, so it might be considered a stretch in the
sense that some C programmers wouldn't have the concept to begin with.
Is that what you meant?

-don provan