Re: list Perl functions in menubar dropdown

From: Peyton Bland
Subject: Re: list Perl functions in menubar dropdown
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:48:56 -0400

In article <mailman.4092.1118335281.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Drew
Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>     In the past, I have used a version of xemacs (version 19, I think) that
>     included an item in the menubar that was labeled Functions.  It would
>     drop down (depending on mode) a list of Perl (and C) function names;
>     selecting a name in this list would take you to that point in the file.
>     I am now using GNU emacs v21.3.1 on another system, and I'd like to
>     have this functionality available...
>
> See library imenu.el.

Thanks, Adam.  This library was already being loaded, but I'm such an
emacs newbie that I didn't realize that I needed to put
imenu-add-menubar-index in my .emacs file to activate this
functionality.  A piece of companion functionality that I forgot to ask
about comes by adding which-func-mode (as defined in which-func.el)
which shows on the mode-line the name of the function in which the
point resides.  I added these two commands to perl-mode-hook (and to
c-mode-hook and shell-mode-hook).  So now I'm happy...

Thanks again,
Peyton