Re: ange-ftp and sftp?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: ange-ftp and sftp?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:24:22 +0900

Phillip Lord <p.lord@cs.man.ac.uk> writes:
> It would probably be easier just to use tramp instead. I don't know if
> it will do sftp, but I do know that it can tunnel directly through
> ssh. I use this all the time.
>
> I suspect that you have never tried tramp. It's a fine package!

There was some discussion of this before, and the conclusion reached was
just the opposite.

Tramp works ok in it's domain, and is a valuable tool in situations
where nothing else works, but it's essentially very inefficient (if you
look at what it's doing you'll gag on your wheaties).  Ange-ftp, by
relying on ftp's direct support of various file-system operations, can
be _much_ more efficient (and more reliable) -- and sftp is basically
like ftp with many of the bogosities removed.

Certainly ange-ftp is an old and crufty mode, and probably would need a
bunch of work to eliminate assumptions about ftp, but apparently tramp
would need even more work to handle sftp properly.

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff