Re: Separating // and /**/ comment fontification

From: Ryan Bowman
Subject: Re: Separating // and /**/ comment fontification
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > How can I change the fontification of one (or the
> > other) to use a different face?
>
> Try C-h v font-lock-syntactic-face-function.
>

>         Stefan

;; from font-lock.el
(defvar font-lock-syntactic-face-function
  (lambda (state)
    (if (nth 3 state) font-lock-string-face
font-lock-comment-face))
  "Function to determine which face to use when
fontifying syntactically.
The function is called with a single parameter (the
state as returned by
`parse-partial-sexp' at the beginning of the region to
highlight) and
should return a face.")

So as I understand it
font-lock-syntactic-face-function will return the face
with which to highlight something: -string-face if
it's a string, -comment-face otherwise.

Following the link to parse-partial-sexp item #7 of
the return value looks somewhat helpful:

 7. t if in a comment of style b; symbol
`syntax-table' if the comment
    should be terminated by a generic comment
delimiter.

but I don't quite understand it.  What is a comment of
style b?  I assume that if the symbol `syntax-table'
is returned it means that the comment must be
terminated by the comment delimiter defined in the
syntax table for the current mode, is that correct?
In Java would the latter then be '*/' and a comment of
style b be a comment started with '//'?

----
Ryan Bowman

There is no vi there is only Emacs