Re: Sql-Mode - getting query results from MS SQL Server 2000

From: Brett Kelly
Subject: Re: Sql-Mode - getting query results from MS SQL Server 2000
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:37:28 -0700

Sometime around Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:15:57PM -0600, Kevin Rodgers said:
> Brett Kelly wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to type in a sql query and have it return a
> resultset in a
> > different buffer (a la Query Analyzer).  Here's what I'm doing now:
> > - Create a new buffer, do M-x sql-ms RET, then enter the relevant
> connection
> >   information (user, password, server, dbname). This gives me no errors.
> > - Type in my SQL statement (I've tried simple "select" statements, as
> well as
> >   more complicated "create proc" type stuff)
> > - Highlight the relevant code with the mouse, and choose Send Region
> from the
> >   SQL menu.
> >
> > Now, if I'm understanding this correctly, I should see the results in
> a new
> > buffer, but I'm not.
>
> From the commentary at the top of sql.el excerpted below, I guess that
> you are typing your SQL statement directly into the sql-interactive-mode
> *SQL* buffer.  If you enter them in some other sql-mode buffer, Send
> Region should cause the *SQL* buffer with the results to be displayed
> (see sql-pop-to-buffer-after-send-region).
>
> ;; This file provides a sql-mode and a sql-interactive-mode.  The
> ;; interactive mode had to provide a command-line history; the other
> ;; mode had to provide "send region/buffer to SQL interpreter"
> ;; functions.
>
> ;; sql-interactive-mode is used to interact with a SQL interpreter
> ;; process in a SQLi buffer (usually called `*SQL*').  The SQLi buffer
> ;; is created by calling a SQL interpreter-specific entry function.  Do
> ;; *not* call sql-interactive-mode by itself.
>
> ;; sql-mode can be used to keep editing SQL statements.  The SQL
> ;; statements can be sent to the SQL process in the SQLi buffer.
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers

Kevin  - thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, this still doesn't seem to be
working.

Went through the followig steps:

- Opened up a .sql file in a new buffer, called TestSQL.sql
- Checked "Pop to SQLi Buffer after Send" in the SQL menu
- ran M-x sql-ms RET which created a new SQLi buffer called *SQL*
- In the TestSQL.sql buffer, i chose Set SQLi buffer from the
  SQL menu, and set it to *SQL*
- I wrote a simple select statement in TestSQL.sql, highlighted it, and chose
  "send region" from the sql menu.
- In the minibuffer, it says "string sent to buffer *SQL*"

And that's it, I get no other output beside that.

--
Brett Kelly
inkedmn@inkedmn.com