Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode

From: narke
Subject: Re: Problem With Emacs Lisp Mode
Date: 26 Jun 2005 21:20:18 -0700

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <877jgh5nzu.fsf@narke.yellow.line>,
>  Steven Woody <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > everyone knows that a Ctrl-e will move the cursor to the end of current
> > statement, but in Emacs Lisp mode, it seems no the true to me. Created a .el
> > file and typed in something like below,
> >
> >   (setq a 1)
> >   (setq b 2)
> >
> > then, i put the cursor on the begin of the first sentence, the do a Ctrl-e,
> > the cursor will unexpectedly go to the end of the second sentence!  has
> > anyone
> > encountered this kind of problem?  i like to share your solution.  thanks!
>
> Control-e normally goes to the end of the current *line*.  Are you
> talking about Meta-e?  Sentences end with a ".", "!", or "?" character
> followed by whitespace, with an optional close quote or close
> parenthesis after the punctuation.  Your example doesn't have any of
> these, so it goes to the end of the paragraph.

no. i did mean Ctrol-e and what i expected is go to the end of current
line. in my example, the Ctrol-e always moves cursor to end of the next
line. but if i split a statement into more than one lines, such as
(setq a
      1)
Ctrol-e will work normally. i do not know why.

> Most of the commands that deal with Lisp expressions are Meta-Control.
> E.g. M-C-e will go to the end of the current function definition.

for this case, the M-C-e in my system always goes to the begining of
the next line which immediately below the ending line of the function!