Re: display information in seperate buffer

From: Fabian Braennstroem
Subject: Re: display information in seperate buffer
Date: 30 Jun 2005 09:42:44 GMT

Hi,

On 2005-06-29, Fabian Braennstroem <fab@ddorf.de> wrote:
>  Hi Emilio,
>
>  On 2005-06-29, Emilio Lopes <eclig@gmx.net> wrote:
> >  Fabian Braennstroem <fab <at> ddorf.de> writes:
> >
> > > I wonder if there exist any package that filters out some
> > > information about certain files using dired and display
> > > those in a separate buffer.
> > > I mean I would like to extract lines with certain keywords
> > > (e.g. fluid and turbulence) or special lines from the file
> > > which is currently 'active' in dired. It is probably similar
> > > to some mbox filtering. And more advanced: if two files are
> > > 'active/marked' then show the infos in separate windows and
> > > highlight the differences (probably like ediff-buffers).
> >
> >  Do you know about `occur', `multi-occur' and `dired-do-igrep'
> >  (from igrep.el)?  They should be a good starting point.
>
>  No, never heard of occur and my first attempt to use the
>  igrep did not work.
>  Thanks, I will take a look at it.

Occur/Multi-occur looks great and igrep was just an old version :-) I always
had problems to find the newest packages; it looks like that
emacswiki has some of the newest ones...

One question to multi-occur, right now it displays the
matching lines for the given regexp for the chosen files, which is
fine, but am I able to run some kine of ediff so multi-occur
highlights the different listed lines, e.g.:

  20 matches for "inlet" in buffer: *Occur*<2>
   35:       inletvelocity = 10 [m/s]
   38:       inlet = 2
  9 matches for "inlet" in buffer: keps_small_301.out
   36:       inletvelocity = 20 [m/s]
   40:       inlet = 2

So it would highlight the lines containing 'inletvelocity'!?

Greetings, Fabian