Re: C-x C-f in two frames -> "user minibuffer while in

From: don provan
Subject: Re: C-x C-f in two frames -> "user minibuffer while in
Date: 05 Jul 2005 00:12:17 -0700

LENNART BORGMAN <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> From: don provan <dprovan@comcast.net>
> > I think the original poster expected to be able to do two
> > file-find's at the same time, one in each minibuffer of the two
> > frames.
>
> Would not the behaviour the original poster expected be normal on a
> windowing system?

Yes, I suppose it would be, and I'm not sure I'd want to defend
Emacs's behavior too strongly. But Emacs is, I would claim, primarily
a keyboard entry based editor, so the emphasis is on a single point of
data entry rather than visual consistency. So I'm not too distressed
by the inconsistency with typical windowing systems, although it
wouldn't surprise me if the reasons for being that way are primarily
historical. There are some weird and wonderful things going on in the
minibuffer, so I wouldn't want to speculate on whether it would be
reasonable to approach them differently.

-don