Re: Convert unibyte to multibyte on input

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Convert unibyte to multibyte on input
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:35:07 +0200

* Ralf Angeli (2005-07-05) writes:

> If I understand (info "(elisp)Converting Representations") correctly,
> Emacs will convert unibyte text to multibyte if it is inserted into a
> multibyte buffer.  However, on Windows I could observe that text,
> guillemets in particular, copied from the character table and pasted
> into Emacs will remain in its unibyte representation.  When typing
> `C-u C-x =' on a « character one gets the following result with a CVS
> Emacs checked out and compiled a few days ago:
>
> ,----
> |   character: « (0253, 171, 0xab)
> |     charset: eight-bit-graphic (8-bit graphic char (0xA0..0xFF))
> |  code point: 171
> |      syntax:        which means: whitespace
> | buffer code: 0xAB
> |   file code: 0xAB (encoded by coding system raw-text-dos)

I think I identified the cause for this.  The problem shows up
particularly in LaTeX files.  Those are opened with a raw-text-dos
file coding system which prevents character code conversion.  The
raw-text-dos file coding system being picked is likely the result of
missing autoloads for latexenc.el in the Windows build.  I sent a bug
report to emacs-pretest-bugs.

--
Ralf