Re: Emacs 21.4.1 under konsole/xterm

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.4.1 under konsole/xterm
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:34:42 +0200

Am 25.07.2005 um 01:32 schrieb Ulisses:

when I execute "emacs -nw" under an xterm or konsole, emacs can
display utf-8 text but I cannot type non ascii characters directly. I
understand that this is a problem related to the "input method". I have
read some documentation & wiki info but I haven't managed to configure
it properly.

When GNU Emacs is running without windows inside a terminal emulation then it relies on this terminal's 'input methods.' Every character you can produce in xterm should be available in Emacs too.

In Mac OS X I can use the alt or option key to toggle my keyboard to produce characters outside 7 bit US-ASCII. This too works in an X client like xterm. (Or in Emacs running in its own windows.)

Could you describe which keys and how they are produced work in xterm and in your konsole application and do not work when GNU Emacs 21.4 is running in those terminal emulations?

Could be that the environment variable LC_CTYPE (same as LANG) helps GNU Emacs.

--
Greetings

  Pete

When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss. (Steffen Hokland)