Re: Best way to run on Windows XP

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: Best way to run on Windows XP
Date: 25 Jul 2005 19:54:49 +0200

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Ehud Karni wrote:

>  On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:51:40 +0100, Jason Rumney wrote:
> >
> > Chris Lott writes:
> >
> > > Is the "best" way to run emacs on Windows XP to use the Native XP build
> > > or the Cygwin? By "best" I mean: stable, able to run elisp code from
> > > emacs.sources, and able to effectively use external tools like grep,
> > > diff, etc... ?
> >
> > If you are only using Cygwin tools, then Cygwin might be better in
> > some respects, but if that is the case, why use Windows at all?
> >
> > For any other case, I'd have to say the native build for the following
> > reasons.
> >
> > Cygwin Emacs does not appear to be regularly maintained. Maybe the
> > original port was good enough that it doesn't need anyone maintaining
> > it, but I doubt it.
>
>  Cygwin Emacs is VERY well maintained by Joe Buehler. He did a superb
>  job, including the unexec part. His changes are included in the main
>  trunk, so compiling Emacs from CVS in Cygwin works OOTB.
>
>  I was working with NTEmacs and switched to the Cygwin Emacs because
>  of two reasons:
>    1. You have the full UNIX toolset with real POSIX support
>       (e.g. same paths, env vars with lower case letters).
>    2. Some things that were included in UNIX Emacs (jpeg IIRC) were not
>       supported by the NTEmacs but worked with Cygwin Emacs on X.
>
>  If you use the Cygwin toolset, I highly recommend using Cygwin Emacs.

Sounds interesting. Two question from a guy who just thinks about trying out
the cygwin-port:

1. Did you encounter performance-issues with the cygwin port of Emacs? I ask,
   because the cygwin-port of XEmacs is often horrible slow concerning
   file-operations compared with the native Windows-port.

2. Is a X-Server needed for running the cygwin-port of Emacs. I'm just running
   the rxvt-terminal of cygwin and the native Windows-port of Emacs and i'm
   quite happy with it. Do i need the X-server for the cygwin-port?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl                    mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de