Re: Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:38:08 +0100

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

> So, what's going on?  On what does emacs base the
> determination that the one file is a unix file while
> hte other is not?

The line ends are inconsistent. Or there is a ^M in the middle
of a line somewhere. If this is deliberate (part of a string maybe),
you should probably use "\x0d" instead.

> How can I fix it?

There may be better ways, but usually I use the following method to
repair such files (do not type any spaces, they are just seperating
keystrokes for clarity):

Keystrokes             Explanation

M-<                    Ensure you are starting at the beginning of the file.
M-%  C-q C-m RET RET   Replace all ^M characters with nothing.
C-x RET f  d o s RET   Set the file to DOS mode.
C-x C-s                Save the repaired file.

You can omit the third step if you don't mind the file having Unix line
ends.