Re: using the cc mode

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: using the cc mode
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:30:04 +0000

Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> wrote on 31 Jul 2005 05:29:34 +1000:
> Hello

> when I am writing stuff in a .cpp file, emacs is using the cc mode by
> default? correct in the mode line I have (C++/ah Abbrev Fill).  If I
> have stuff in my .emacs, does that cancel the default cc mode or adds
> to it?

CC Mode is a collection of 7 similar modes, of which C++ Mode is one.
(The others are C, Java, Objective C, IDL, Pike and AWK.)  The stuff in
your .emacs _configures_ CC Mode in two ways:  It makes the defaults for
indentation, etc., conform to your team's coding standards, and it sets
up your own personal preferences (things like Auto New Line.)

> not before I study emacs and Lisp in more details will I be able to
> answer my question.

A study which I earnestly urge you to embark upon.  Lisp is a much nicer,
more regular language than C or C++, and higher level, too.

You asked in another thread about making an "enum {" insert an
auto-newline.  I'll get back to you on that one.  :-)

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter