Re: How do you normally type text in emacs?

From: Björn Lindström
Subject: Re: How do you normally type text in emacs?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:19:24 +0200

rincewind <fake@not.real> writes:

> How do you normally type plain English text in emacs?

The same way I type plain Swedish. ;-)

> How can I make emacs automatically format paragraphs visually, without
> breaking words and without inserting newlines?

Files with an extension of .txt automatically gets the text-mode
treatment. Apart from what it does by default, here are some settings I
like to set:

(defun set-fill-mode-column ()
  (setq fill-column 72)
  (turn-on-auto-fill))
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set-fill-mode-column)
            (flyspell-mode)))

This turns on automatic wrapping at 72 columns, and turns on on-the-fly
spell checking.

For the spell checking to work as I want, this is what I do:

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
(setq-default ispell-local-dictionary "british")
(require 'ispell)
(global-set-key "\C-csf" (lambda () (interactive)
                           (flyspell-mode)))
(global-set-key "\C-csb" (lambda () (interactive)
                           (ispell-change-dictionary "british")))
(global-set-key "\C-css" (lambda () (interactive)
                           (ispell-change-dictionary "svenska")))

Good luck.