default font weight changes to bold when I set the bg color to black

From: caw
Subject: default font weight changes to bold when I set the bg color to black
Date: 1 Aug 2005 21:48:00 -0700

Hi,
Mac OS X, Emacs GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.1.0) of
2005-05-19 on iBookG4.local
I have a nice lightweight font, with a white background (the default
settings - nothing modified in .emacs), with global font lock.
When I "set-background-color" to "black" and "set-foreground-color" to
white, all is well, but the default font in now *bold*.
How can I stop emacs from doing this?

cheers and thanks

Chris Wright