Re: default startup mode

From: Baloff
Subject: Re: default startup mode
Date: 07 Aug 2005 09:37:29 +1000

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Baloff wrote:
>
>  > I have this line in my .emacs
>  >
>  > (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)       ;new buffers are text mode
>  >
>  > when I start emacs, it opens up a scratch buffer in (Lisp Interaction)
>  > in the mode line. shouldn't that be text mode since the line above is
>  > in the .emacs.
>  > if not, how do I get emacs to start up with text mode as default? or
>  > should I?
>
> ,----[ C-h v initial-major-mode RET ]
> | initial-major-mode's value is
> | lisp-interaction-mode
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Major mode command symbol to use for the initial *scratch* buffer.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | Defined in `startup'.
> `----
>
> --
> Kevin Rodgers

thanks,
I went looking for info about startup and found

Initial Options

   Some initial options affect the loading of init files.  The normal
actions of Emacs are to first load `site-start.el' if it exists, then
your own init file `~/.emacs' if it exists, and finally `default.el' if
it exists; certain options prevent loading of some of these files or
substitute other files for them.

how do I find out if "in my case" all 3 files started up or any did
not.