Re: Does Gnu Emacs support UTF-8 for Japanese?

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: Does Gnu Emacs support UTF-8 for Japanese?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:55:20 +0200

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:35:16 +0200 Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> "Ben Bullock" <usenet@sljfaq.org> writes:
>> I had a problem with Gnu Emacs apparently not being able to cope with
>> UTF 8 coding. After much frustration the answer I seemed to get is
>> that Gnu Emacs doesn't support UTF 8 for Japanese codes. Is this right
>> or wrong? If right, why? If wrong, what can I do to make it save files
>> in UTF 8?

I heard Unicode support for non Latin scripts is far better in
the CVS version of Emacs.  IMHO it's stable enough for daily
work.  And if not you can help the Emacs community by typing
M-x report-emacs-bug RET to bring it a step closer to the next
release.

> If so, how comes I can send you this post from emacs, but not from ときお?

Probably because you are using GNU Emacs from CVS.

David