Re: Newbie: Copy&paste text from native application into emacs?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Newbie: Copy&paste text from native application into emacs?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:14:17 +0200

Sébastien Kirche <sebastien.kirche.no@spam.free.fr.invalid> writes:

> At 08:08 on Aug 11 2005, francisrammeloo said :
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm very new to emacs and I wonder how I can copy some text from my
>> webbrowser into an emacs buffer?
>>
>> (I use GNU Emacs on Mac OS X )
>
> Specifically, you can select and copy you text as usually with cmd-c and
> to insert into Emacs ctrl-y. For the opposite : cmd-w and paste into any
> other application as usual. If Cmd-y seems not to work, try Opt-w

All wrong!  (Sorry).

Well, ctrl-y is correct, but it's written C-y in emacs-speak.

cmd-w is Command-w = Apple-w = MS-Windows-w. Nothing to do with C-w

Opt-w is Alt-w and has nothing to do with (Meta-w) M-w which can also
be typed as ESC w. It's true that on keyboards lacking a Meta key, Alt
is often mapped to Meta, but this is not necessarily the case.

> If you are very new to Emacs,  i suggest you to type "Ctrl-h" then "t" :

Write it: C-h t

> it will launch the Emacs tutorial and should make you more familiar with
> the keyboard strokes and general handling & behavior of Emacs.

> BTW : in the tutorial the META  key is either the mac option or command,
> it  depends on  the Emacs  configuration of  the mac-command-key-is-meta
> variable.

Ah!  You see?  Meta can be mapped to Command instead of Alt!

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.