Re: how to change file coding system

From: Martin Monsorno
Subject: Re: how to change file coding system
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:33:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Martin Monsorno <mmonsorno@gmx-gmbh.de>
>> Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:34:31 +0200
>>
>> I have a c-file which file (the command) claims to be a "UTF-8 Unicode
>> C program text".  Now I want to make it a 8859 file, so in the emacs
>> buffer visiting it I say:
>>   C-x <RET> f iso-8859-1-unix <RET>
>> and
>>   C-x C-s
>
> That is the right way.
>
>> Afterwards, file (the command) says the same as before.  Did I miss
>> something?
>
> Do you have a reason to believe `file' more than you believe Emacs?

Not generally.  But as the file is under source control and "cvs diff"
shows those many lines containing german umlauts, I suppose that file
is working correctly.  BTW: the real culprit is eclipse, that
converted the file when writing >:(

> > That is, is it possible that `file' lies?  Can you find a character in
> the file after translation that is not Latin-1, and if you can, what
> is that character?

�

doesn't seem like an 'ü' to me

> One possibility is that you have in that file a character whose code
> is outside the valid range of Latin-1 codepoints.  But that's a wild
> guess, you need to find such a character and type "C-u C-x =" with the
> cursor on it, to see what it is.

the umlauts are not de-/encoded correctly, don't know whom to blame
(however, most of the times it's eclipse).  and i also don't know how
to handle this problem.

--
Martin