customizing double click

From: Rajneesh Hegde
Subject: customizing double click
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:11:32 -0400

hi,
In LaTeX mode (AUCTeX), I want double-click to have the usual
selection effect when the click is on a word-constituent character,
but otherwise do a forward-search (i.e. invoke the dvi viewer). I
wrote the following function for doing the latter:

(defun my-LaTeX-forward-search (event)
  "Set point to the position of the mouse pointer and then call the
function TeX-view from AucTeX."
  (interactive "e")
  (if (and (numberp (posn-point (event-start event)))
             (looking-at "\\W"))
             (TeX-view)))

Then I bind as follows:
(define-key LaTeX-mode-map [double-down-mouse-1] 'my-LaTeX-forward-search)

The problem is that on double-clicking on a word-constituent
character, the double-down event runs the above function (which, as
expected, does nothing) , but the subsequent double-click event
doesn't have the usual effect of selecting the word.

On the other hand, if I bind my function to [double-mouse-1], it
doesn't even get invoked, although the binding is successful. What am
I missing? Thanks,

Rajneesh.

P.S. I'm using GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) (from
crasseux.com) on a WinXP Home machine (the mouse is a Synaptics
touchpad.) The same problem happens with precompiled Emacs 21.3.