Re: how to change file coding system

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: how to change file coding system
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:37:51 +0200

Am 18.08.2005 um 10:40 schrieb Martin Monsorno:

What remains is the problem with emacs and UTF-8 files.

I have GNU Emacs 21.3.50 from CVS in rare use too. It has no problems to open an actual UTF-8 file in UTF-8 or an ISO Latin-1 file in ISO Latin-1. Although it has problems to show most of the >100K glyphs in Unicode, but that's a secondary problem to deal with in elaborate fontsets.

Such a header line helps Emacs:

        ;;; -*- mode: Text; coding: utf-8; -*-

(The first three `;´ are three comment characters.) Or such a footer:

        %
        % Local Variables:
        % mode: LaTeX
        % fill-column: 160
        % coding-system: iso-latin-1
        % End:
        %
        %%

(The `%´ introduces a comment in TeX.)

And yes, I meant and I wrote C-x RET r. Usually I first view a file's contents and judge then if I need to change the encoding Emacs uses by default.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Es gibt 10 Sorten Leute: solche, die binär verstehen, und solche, die es nicht verstehen.