Re: tramp 2.1.3 compile funkiness

From: ken
Subject: Re: tramp 2.1.3 compile funkiness
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:17:10 -0400

Michael Albinus wrote:
> zl <gebser@speakeasy.net> writes:
>

>>Just yesterday compiled tramp.  Got a bunch of errors during the
>>compile-- see session copy below.  And I've tried all kinds of syntax
>
> As Peter already wrote, this are warnings only. Nasty (we should
> decrease the noise in make), but nothing serious AFAICS.
>
>>and can't get a tramp connection (though I can ssh just fine).
>
> Here we would need more details. Which filename syntax did you apply
> (example)?  Are there error messages, or just a hanging Emacs?

[user@host]/filename    [=> create (local) subdirectory]

[user@host]:/filename   [=> create (local) subdirectory]

[user@host.domain.tld]:/filename        [=> create (local) subdirectory]

[user@host.domain.tld]:filename [=> create (local) subdirectory]

/user@host.domain.tld:/path/filename [=> ftp failure]

/[user@host.domain.tld]:~/filename [=> ftp failure]

/[user@host.domain.tld]/path/file       [=> create (local) subdirectory]

In the case of the ftp failure message, I'm promted for a password
first, then the ftp failure message comes up.  I believe that emacs is
trying to do ange-ftp.

In the case of the "create directory" errors, emacs (I'm guessing) is
trying to create a file on the local machine.

So does anyone know the correct syntax for tramp these days?

tnx,
ken

> If you believe you did everything right, you could submit a bug report
> with "M-x tramp-submit-bug". It will contain more information for
> analysis.
>
>>TIA for making my life worth living again... or just getting this
>>working for me.
>
> Best regards, Michael.

do.  Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
        -- Bradford Angier